Think about your favorite pastime. Chances are you didn’t know you enjoyed it until the first time you tried it. In fact, entire career paths have been created by those who’ve tried something new only to discover their newfound passions.
Opening ourselves up to new things or new ways of thinking can often be intimidating. That’s mostly because we’re treading into unfamiliar territory, which in turn makes us anxious. But when you make it a habit to frequently try new things, you’ll reap some very satisfying benefits.
• Confidence-Builder. The more new things you try, the more self-confident you become. Get in the practice of trying things you never thought you would. It can be as simple as eating a new food you can’t pronounce or as daring as zip-lining across a canyon. Just like exercise, when you regularly test your limits, you build up your confidence “muscles.”
• Courage-Booster. When trying something entirely outside your comfort zone, you may have to work up the nerve first. Mustering up the courage to act is a practice that, when repeated, can deepen your courage “well” across other aspects of your life.
• Boredom-Buster. Do you eat at the same restaurants or take the same daily commute? Doing the same things day in and day out can lead to boredom. You may not even realize you’re stuck in a rut until that one day you try a new diner or take a different route to work and feel that small sense of wonder, surprise, and self-satisfaction. Remember, you’ll never risk boredom if you continually challenge yourself to try new things.
• Growth-Expanding. In every person there is a strong impulse to grow. Trying new things satisfies that impulse. We first grow by adopting a new mindset in preparation for a new experience. Having had the experience, our mindsets are again altered. Facing any new situation is always a gratifying growth opportunity.
• Brain-Strengthener. Trying and learning new things stimulates your brain and challenges it to create new pathways. When you experience something new, you give your brain a chance to exercise on a whole new level.
Why not try something new today?
What did you try?! We want to hear, share in the comments below!