5 Best Ways to Refresh Your Surroundings Following Divorce
Bye-Bye Ex, Hello New Life!
What do you do with a half-empty house or when you’re living out of your suitcase? You take this opportunity to do things your way! Re-designing your living space is a great way to help you heal quickly after divorce. Reset your world, let go of what was, express who you are, and create a new beginning for you and your home.
Honestly, one of the biggest mistakes you can make is doing nothing. Your environment impacts the way you feel, so changing it makes a significant difference. Transform your interiors, free your mind, and lighten your spirit quickly with the following tips.
1. First things first, strip down, get rid of, give away, or sell what you aren’t using and no longer serves you. Asta La Vista to the sombrero from the last cruise or that vase you never liked that was a wedding gift from Aunt Pearl – it’s outta there! If organizing is not your thing, hire someone who loves to purge.
2. Ditch the bed linens and get yourself new sheets and blankets. Wrap yourself in luxury – go for the high thread counts, silk or Jersey cotton… whatever feels good to you. Hell, get yourself a new bed while you’re at it! If the hundreds of decorative pillows your partner insisted on made you crazy… donate them to Goodwill. Sleep on a diagonal or take up the whole thing! Those heavy drapes? Trade them in for something lightweight or cheerful and allow the light in.
3. Paint over the old colors and bring in the new! Select ones that make you feel good. It helps create a fresh start. Even the paint smell invokes renewal. If you have children, include them in this process as any control they can have helps them heal too. Different colors ignite different feelings and can impact your well-being. For example, green manifests balance, healing, and new growth.
3. Explore what turns you on and surround yourself with furniture, art, and decor that is not just functional and aesthetically pleasing, but it makes you feel good. It makes a statement about who you are so if it isn’t your strength, get professional help. These things matter to you. Hone in on your style and transform your home from hell to a happy haven.
4. The final tip of the day is to remember how to play in your newly re-designed home. Laughter lightens everyone’s soul and should not be overlooked. Carve out and create spaces for fun and entertainment to share your new home with friends and family. Eat, drink, and be merry… or at least fake it until you make it. You’ve got this!
Just remember, this is a process and any way you can support yourself (and your kids) in making this transition as smooth and positive as possible is priceless. So if it means reassigning rooms, moving or rearranging your furniture or starting completely from scratch–go for it. Deep down you know what is best for you, so trust your gut or hire someone you can entrust.
Julie Anna Bishop and Janel Harrison are co-founders of Allure Her Interiors, a design and lifestyle firm serving distinctive bachelors nationwide and specializing in transforming their homes and hearts after divorce to create healthy families. For information about their services, email Julie or Janel directly or at Allure Her Interiors.
You might also like
FacebookTwitterGoogle+Like2 Dear Love, Thank you for all. Were it not for you I would not be here. How fortunate I am that we have met, despite not always seeing, recognizing,
FacebookTwitterGoogle+Like65 A better way to manage child support. Eliminate child support conflict and enjoy transparency while saving time and money. Spend less time managing child support and more time raising