Almost a ‘Do It Yourself’ Divorce
As a divorce attorney, I understand that the cost of a divorce can often be expensive. However, if someone cannot afford the full services of a divorce lawyer, there is a cost-efficient, yet still effective, option – Limited Scope Representation. The state of Illinois expanded the rules regarding Limited Scope Representation just over one year ago. These new rules allow people with limited means to pay for a portion of the legal services needed for their cases rather than hiring an attorney for the entire duration of their cases. Limited Scope Representation, which is permitted in over 20 states, can be particularly advantageous in divorce cases. If somebody chooses to handle their divorce case on their own but would still like limited legal guidance, Limited Scope Representation, often referred to as ‘unbundling of services’, would be a practical option.
What are some of the legal services a divorce lawyer can provide with Limited Scope Representation?
1. Draft the petition for divorce
• This is the document filed with the court that requests a divorce.
2. Help with preparation for the discovery process
• Discovery is the process of gathering information and documentation needed to prepare a case for settlement or trial.
3. Provide consultation at the beginning of the divorce process
• A lawyer can help prepare the client for the most effective way to handle their divorce case and provide information about what documents they will need to prepare.
4. Provide legal advice and information
• If the spouses have a disagreement about a particular aspect of their divorce, legal advice may be needed.
5. Help with preparation for mediation
• Even if a couple agrees to go into mediation without lawyers, one party may want advice on how to prepare for mediation.
6. Draft and review documents
• A divorce lawyer can make sure all documents contain all the necessary and correct legal information.
7. Make hearing appearances
• A divorce lawyer can go into court with a client even if the client has prepared and filed all the necessary documents for their case on their own.
8. Review the settlement agreement
• As the final divorce settlement is difficult to change once it is signed, a divorce lawyer can review the document to ensure it is legally valid and fair.
If you have any questions about Limited Scope Representation and how it may be helpful to you, please contact me.
Michael C. Craven is a well-known divorce attorney in Chicago, CPA and a partner of the law firm, Beermann Swerdlove, LLP located in the Chicago area. He is highly respected among other divorce attorneys, judges and his clients. He also holds a Master of Tax Law Degree (LLM). For more information about his services, contact Michael at email@example.com or at Divorce Lawyers Chicago
You might also like
FacebookTwitterGoogle+Like49 If a parent or guardian is requesting that the Court change the name of a minor child over the objection of one or both parents, the Court must make
FacebookTwitterGoogle+Like3 Money and finances in general, are often such a tender topic to speak about, especially when it comes to talking about it with your significant other. Pause and think